Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Walk with Me WARM

Come to St Kate's to see the WARM show!
Information about Walk with Me walks below!


My career as an artist and as a curator has always been in line and surrounded by feminist work.
It is a safe haven for me. And it is the one place I have found consistent support for my art. After doing the Women's Art Institute at MCAD in 2007, I immediately went out and got a WARM mentor. While I worked on my art to get into graduate school, I met with my mentor.

I was jazzed after being in the WAI. I kept making work and applied to schools.
Honestly, WARM was bit of a blip for me. I left for LA and moved on from Minnesota for awhile.
While in LA, I assisted in the curation of Doin' It In Public, an exhibition about the Woman's Building in Los Angeles. I was the producer of the opening events and was very involved in the creation of the catalogs that went with our Pacific Standard Time funded show. I met Lily Tomlin, Phranc, Judy Chicago, and so many more amazing artists.

When the Woman's Building was going on so was the beginning of WARM. Judy Chicago visited St Catherine's in the early 70s and in my mind the strong feminist bent of Los Angeles and Minnesota are connected in many ways.

What stuck from the Women's Art Institute was a connection to Pat Olsen and a thread to the community in Minnesota. That thread helped me come back to Minnesota and literally weave together a fulfilling life and artistic time. First by being in the Feminist Art Show at St Kate's in 2014. Exhibiting my performance piece, Walk with ME. Then hosting me as a guest lecturer at WAI. And even helping me connect to a job at Wet Paint.
Part of my WetPaint family is shown below:

So here we are. It is 2018 and we are honoring WARM and all it has done. Along with my Meditation Work which is a new project for me. I am showing the first book made from Walk with ME. So when I met with Heather Carroll the curator, I said "Why not do some walks for the exhibit also?" She loved the idea. So here I am. Looking for people connected to WARM to walk with. I like to also connect Women's Art Institute to these walks. As I see WAI as an extension of/adjacent experience to WARM. It is all about women artists. And more broadly if you identify as a woman or as non binary but haven't felt comfortable to enter a space labeled women in the way WARM is, I would love to walk with you too.

Email me at walkwithmeart@gmail.com
These are the dates I am walking from the gallery at St. Kate's:
Saturday November 10 from 11am-3pm (Noon spot is already spoken for)
Monday Nov 26 11am-3pm
Sunday Dec 2 2pm-6pm



I want to thank Beth Bergman for her support. Since moving back to Minnesota, I can say she is one of the biggest supporters of me and my work. She told the curator to contact me to be in this show. Unbeknownest to either of us, we were making art that would look fantastic next to each other! Both working abstractly, we both meditated. She on symbols of the goddess and wings. Myself on the breath itself. I am so fortunate to have worked for Beth at Wet Paint before she retired.

One last sidetone, Women's Art Institute at a fundraiser at this opening. And it seems I can't resist a WAI fundraiser. It was how I bought my first Gregory Graham piece. And now I snagged a Joyce Lyons piece. I am obsessed with light and shadow through window blinds. Even made a video of it once in grad school. So I had to have this piece!

Come on, come all. Artists! Walk with me! Thanks for reading and visit the show at St Kate's!



No comments:

Post a Comment