Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Walk with ME: LA STUDS walk: Carole

For the past two weeks I have been in LA, I was able to get some work at the Ben Maltz Gallery deinstalling the "Chan & Mann" show and installing "Tapping the Third Realm." In July, I ran into Carole on the tour Elena Mann and Audrey Chan and she asked for me to do Walk with Me in September for STUDS. A new group of artists that will check out shows and have other artists give talks. A great little facebook group that shares info on openings. 
I expected a small group but Carole was the only STUD who showed. Which ended up being fortuitious so we could do a walk for the project. Carole and I walked at the beach at the end of Ocean Park Blvd around 615pm. I wasn't nervous to walk with Carole because she is an amazingly outgoing artist who from the get go has been easy to talk to. Every time I see her I feel inspired to keep making work. Carole was wearing her hair up in these great braids. And after a week of really hot weather, it was cool at the beach. Wrapped up in a long sleeve shirt felt wonderful! 
After chatting on the cement for a few minutes about living life on the road, we started out going towards Santa Monica Pier. The beach was sort of crowded since it was a Sunday. But it wasn't overly packed. There were tiny little shells lining the coast...it was strange as there were baby shells that seemed like they had living things in them. Why had they washed up on shore? 
Carole and I talked about the project, about holding hands and her husband, how used to people staring I have gotten when I walk with women, how gender is played out in this project. We talked about her growing up in Huntington Beach and how much nicer the sand is there. It was great because with Carole there were little pockets of silence that felt really wonderful. 
I am starting to feel really selfish. Because of the SURGE of joy I feel on these walks. I was just smiling away walking down the beach with my friend. What a great way to spend a Sunday. Made me wonder how do I make this art? Is it art inherently with the structure I put around it and the Artist Book I published. Does this need to mean more? Or can it continue to stay this simple as I continue?
Carole and I had to turn back so that her car wouldn't be locked up in the beach lot. We continued to chat easily and sat down to write our reflections. It was great how we kept holding hands until we got to the bench. A hobo was singing anti-rich people songs in the background. Talking about his thrift store clothes.
 

It was a great feeling to walk with Carole. She asked about gender and how people reacted. I brought up that for some there is fear of walking girl and girl. But I think she was trying to get to something larger. A different concept about gender. I will have to ask her about it. 
As I get ready to leave for Half Moon Bay to continue the project. I have been panic-y and I have been anxious. Wondering what was wrong. I think it has been that I haven't held hands in two months. I am panic-y because I haven't been doing the project. I am very excited to get back to it. Nervous to see how half Moon Bay will respond and to get to work. I am really excited to have access to a studio. I am excited to write and to draw and to paint and possibly to WEAVE. 

Thank you Carole for telling me I can keep making money in the corners of my days and keep this project a going. 






No comments:

Post a Comment