Friday, October 19, 2018

Walk with Me: Art Amplifies

Hi all! It has been awhile. 
Can you all believe Walk with Me has been going on for five years now?
Time flies! 

Though I haven't done any official walks since being at Vital Matters in 2016. 

There has been a few things going on. Mainly, one of the organizers of Vital Matters used the Walk with Me title to sell a piece of art work to a museum. 

It was a winter of feeling rather invisible. Someone I thought supported my work. Someone who did a Walk with Me walk. Forgot that it was the name of my work and instead of amplifying my work or lifting it up. Came up with excuses for why from a list of other titles she couldn't change the title. 


In this life, as a woman, as a woman that queers life by questioning social structures, I have a lot of opportunities to feel invisible. This situation made me feel so invisible, it heightened my depression to a point that my co-workers were concerned. As I asked for what I needed, the artist to change the title. I ended up getting the title changed but I lost a friend and I feel even more invisible than I did before. I realized if I can't be seen in this situation. I want to help other artists be seen. 


So I need all of your help. Walk with Me is not just about me finding connection. I want it to be about all of us work a day artists that don't have parents on the boards of museums, or money to quit our day jobs to find connection. Let's amplify each other's work. Using this blog as a platform maybe you can find collaborators? Or feel seen and heard. Maybe you can find inspiration to do the projects you have been holding back on.


This fall into next year. I want us to go on walks, hold hands, talk about our art work (we all are doing creative work of some kind take this time to talk about it) and then use this blog as a platform to share that work. 


Here is the plan:

1)Find a painter, dancer, weaver, actor, hobbyist, etc to walk with. 

2)Hold hands (even if you are wearing gloves)


3) Talk about your art work, your hopes and dreams (even those who see themselves as non artists have dreams! we all are creative)


4) Document the experience. Take a photo of your hands, take a selfie, write down your thoughts, draw something)


5) Send photos and type up your thoughts to: walkwithmeart@gmail.com


6) I will then post this info to the blog.*



***PLEASE INCLUDE WEBSITES, instagrams, ETC of artists so I can AMPLIFY your work***


*As the manager of the site I have the right to not post anything I find inappropriate. I want to post documentation of actual walks and real connection between two (or more!) people*


A soft launch of this project is happening in connection with the show:

http://gallery.stkate.edu/exhibitions/roots-and-fruits

I will be doing walks with WARM artists (or any local artist who signs up) these days:
Saturday November 10 from 11am-3pm
Monday Nov 26 11am-3pm
Sunday Dec 2 2pm-6pm

Sign up for walks here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1x_5lCq-YLlZrROKrh91-0WMTk-8j7lO8m3yJTAGDIgg/edit

I am asking WARM artists to walk together and learn about each others work. And then email me about their walks. But hey, everybody, near and far! Let's walk together and connect around our collective creativity. 

And I want to use this fall time to get us all walking together. Let us amplify the creative work of others.

Thank you!!!! And Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment