Thursday, April 11, 2013

Adventure Quote

"The principal difference between an adventurer and a suicide is that the adventurer leaves himself [herself] a margin of escape (the narrower the margin the greater the adventure), a margin whose width and length may be determined by unknown factors but whose successful navigation is determined by the measure of the adventurer's nerve and wits. It is always exhilarating to live by one's nerves or toward the summit of one's wits. Such stuff I shamelessly confess to you."
-Tom Robbins
"Another Roadside Attraction

I am reading this book, slowly and in between tasks. When I read this quote, it resonated. I have always been attracted to travel and adventure. I always liked putting myself in slightly uncomfortable situations and getting myself out of them. I am not as extreme as others...I am not an extreme adventurer. No free diving (yet), or going out at 2am alone. But I like to push how far i can take my brain and body. I like to dream up new adventures and make them happen. It makes me happy. I am no where near suicide but I resonate with what Tom is saying there also. There is something of melancholia mixed in with this love of adventure. The realization of the ephemeral nature of my life and that my life may or may not be profound. That in searching for the answer to that, I am trying to make it more important. On the other side, I travel because life is a blank canvas...so I might as well have some fun and explore.
Picture in Kyrgyzstan on day long horse trek
An example of pushing mind and body to exhiliration


No comments:

Post a Comment